Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Securing the Binding

The binding can be secured either by hand or machine. Setting it up is the same for either method. I prefer stuffed binding, but some people like theirs flat.
After you've sewn the binding onto the quilt, cut off excess batting leaving a 1/2". I cut my backing even with the edge because it tends to add too much bulk. Another stuffed binding method is to place long 1/4" wide strips of cotton batting inside the binding before you sew it to the quilt.
Cut the corners at a 45 degree angle, leaving a 1/4" at the tip.  
Fold the binding over while stuffing the batting inside. Push the corners of the quilt edge up into the binding. Hold binding in place with mini clothespins.

Hand Binding

I like to tack down a corner first so I start about two inches away and sew up. I'm left-handed, so I move up the right side. I'm using a size 10 Betweens needle and hand quilting thread. I'm going to show you how to make a Blind or Hidden Stitch. This is the same method used for needle turned appliqué.
Begin by inserting your needle into the backing beneath the fold of the binding. Pull the knot through the first layer of fabric. You need to hide the knot and bury the tail. You do this any time you sew by hand. Blow up the photo to see how the stitches are made. The needle is inserted into one layer of fabric only and just behind the fold.
Push the needle just a little way through the inside of the fold and out. Insert the needle into the top layer of backing and pick up a bit of fabric and push it out. Now bring the needle back up and into the binding. I make my stitches tight because I expect my quilts to stand up to washing.
Pull the thread through until the binding crimps a little and smooth it out. It should lie tight and flat.

Securing the Corner

You're doing the same thing you've already done. The needle goes into the top and bottom layers of fabric.
Push the straight piece flush with the edge and hold it down with one finger. Fold the piece over it and hold it in place. Stop when you're 1/4" away from the tip.
Insert the needle back through the last hole you made and push it along the fold and out where the two pieces meet. You may have some overlap and that's okay. Don't try to fix it.

 It should look like this when you're finished.
You should end up with a perfectly mitered corner. Continue with the rest of the binding in the same way until it's finished. If you can do this, you can do hand appliqué.

Machine Binding

What I find most difficult about securing the binding on a machine is getting it straight.

The zipper foot allows me to see the fold in relation to the binding stitches.

When I come to a corner, I stop 1/4" from the end. 

Then I raise the foot, push the fold up to the needle and drop the foot. 

I use the hand wheel to put one stitch the corner. I raise the foot and pivot the quilt around the needle. 
I drop the foot and use the hand wheel to stitch the corner down and continue sewing.

Alternatively, you can tack down the corners by hand before you begin sewing.

As you can see, the stitches aren't always in the ditch, but they still look good overall. 

This is my favorite binding technique.

Tying Off

I use this method for both hand and machine quilting. Every loose thread in a quilt should be knotted and buried.

Leave about 5 inches of thread when you start and stop. Thread both ends through a needle.

Thread a needle with both tails. Wrap the tails around the end of the needle three times.

Insert the needle into the fabric and batting.

Pull the needle out and the knot will be buried beneath the fabric. Cut the thread close to the fabric. You could also tie two square knots with the threads separated. Thread a needle and bury the threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment